ENGLISH, LITERATURE, & FOREIGN LANGUAGES
- Enciclopedia Estudiantil Hallazgo
- La Enciclopedia Estudiantil Hallazgos está organizada de modo que los estudiantes puedan encontrar información rápida y fácilmente.
- Investiga las noticias y eventos más corrientes, la información de negocios del momento, los artículos de salud más importantes, temas de cultura popular y muchas otras materias incluidas en las revistas hispánicas más populares.
- Junior Edition (Gale)
- Periodical database designed for students in junior high and middle school, with magazines, newspapers and reference books on current events, the arts, science, popular culture, health, government, sports and more.
- LearningExpress Library
- Online interactive practice exams covering adult basic, academic, job related, civil service, real estate skills and more. Now includes ESL Spanish Basic Skills Course.
Electronic Resource of the Month, Oct 2008
- Literature Resource Center
- Broad range of subject content containing criticisms, biographies, primary sources, reviews, and multimedia on writers and works around the world.
- A fiction reader's advisory database. Find books by the same author, or similar books by another author. Browse by subject, genre, and theme for over 150,000 titles. Reviews, book discussion guides and annotated book lists constantly updated.
Electronic Resource of the Month, March 2011
- NoveList K-8
- Reader's advisory for selection of fiction titles for children, pre-K through eighth grade with a student focused interface.
Electronic Resource of the Month, March 2011
- Oxford English Dictionary (OED)
- Online version of the multivolume Oxford English Dictionary Second and Third Editions as updated.
- Oxford Reference Online - Premium Collection
- Quick reference and scholarly articles from a broad range of subjects in over 100 titles that include key titles from the Oxford Companion series and the complete Oxford Dictionary of Quotations.
Site under construction! Oxford's latest revision contains problems (or errors). Disregard padlocked resources or any requests to purchase resources. This content should be eliminated in the corrected version to arrive sometime in January. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience!
- Powerspeak Languages
- Online language learning - Spanish, French, Mandarin Chinese, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, ESL Spanish, and ESL Mandarin - through a series of stories, activities and innovative learning tools. Create a free account. Speakers or headphones are necessary.
Electronic Resource of the Month, Sept. 2011
- Something About the Author
- Complete series on the lives and careers of popular and significant authors and illustrators of books for children and teens.
- Specializes in teaching vocabulary course levels ranging from 7th to 12th grade, to standardized test preparation, to Intermediate ESL.
- World Book Encyclopedia
- Offers information on a range of topics.
English and Literature Websites
- APlus Research & Writing for High School and College Students Home Page
- Has help on how to research and write a paper or report as well as links to other writing resources.
- Banned Books On-Line
- Long discussion of Censorship and banned books with links to electronic text of books mentioned.
- BIBLIOMANIA, The Network Library: Home Page
- Links to online versions of selected Classics of fiction and non-fiction. Also has links to reference sources.
- Cliffs Notes
- Free online access to the full text content of 180 literature guides. Students can ask a question to get started on an assignment through the interactive site "Ask Cliffs" and get an online answer.
- Free online dictionary search, translator, word of the day, crossword puzzles and word games, and vocabulary learning resources for many languages.
- The Elements of Style
- William Strunk's classic guide to good writing.
- Gutenberg Project, The
- An excellent collection of 16,000 books, full-text with a search engine.
- HTI American Verse Project
- Electronic texts of selected American poets. Searchable by keyword and phrases.
- Native American Authors
- Bibliography, brief biography, and online texts of selected Native American authors. Searchable by name, title of works, or tribal affiliation.
- Online Literary Criticism Collection Main Page
- Links to critical and biographical works of selected authors. Searchable by author, title, and literary period / country.
- Shakespeare's Works
- Complete works of Shakespeare on line. Has some commentary.
- SparkNotes (TheSpark.com)
- Literature study guides like Cliff Notes.
- Style Manuals
- On-line style including APA, CBE/Chicago and MLA formats. Citation guides for on-line texts and legal works are also included.
- Works Cited 4 You
- Formats bibliographies and works cited for researchers, writers and students.
Foreign Language Websites
- Foreign languages for travelers
- Basic language lessons for travelers. Select the language you speak and the language you want to learn. Covers most modern languages. Has some audio files.
- Foreign Language Dictionary
- Word by word translator to and from selected European languages.
- The Human-Languages Page
- Links to dictionaries, language lessons, texts, organizations, language resources, schools, translators, and jobs. Also has box for translating text into and from major European languages.